Saturday, November 12, 2005

Egg and Cheese Sandwiches and Canadians Are a Wonderment

At approximately 1 a.m. last night, the Canadians and I went in search of diner food. It was remarkable. Neither Vex nor the adorable Fearsome had ever seen an actual diner. What do they do up there in Canada when they need breakfast at 1 a.m.? That’s what the young Latino waiter wanted to know when I revealed that this was their first diner meal, ever. Bug-eyed, shiny black-haired wonderment—on the part of the very Brooklynese waiter, who actually marveled, if that can be physical; and on the part of the kids, who ate their onion rings with great enthusiasm and straightforward happiness.

Really, sometimes I love the world.

Right now, Charlie LeDuff is on the Discovery-Times channel challenging his Southern Baptist cousin. The cousin is arguing: “How can you look outside and see the world and hear the crickets and not believe there is a God?” Charlie, when she says she believes every word of the bible, and that it should be taught in schools: “Isn’t that group think?” He came and spoke to one of my classes in grad school once, and he was dirty under the fingernails and sexy as can be. Smart, full of passion, charming. Someone you could love and hate all at once, I think.

Now he just asked his maybe 12-year-old overweight cousin what he wants to do when he grows up. Here’s the kid’s answer: “Sit around the house.” No. Shit.

Been thinking about eyes. Is it a choice to be made, how much you reveal in your eyes?

[Technorati tags: , , ]

3 Comments:

At 2:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was in third grade after years of agnosticism, I thought I'd try believing in Christianity like some of my friends. My dad, the existentialist artist, was not worried. He comforted mom at the dinner table, "It's just a phase."

I went on "believing" for several months, until one day my best friend Steve took me with him to Sunday school. I sat down for the lesson, and the nice lady pointed to some pictures of chickens and eggs and went into a lecture about "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" in what slowly came clear to my horrified eight-year-old mind was a pallid attempt to refute the theory of evolution. I raised my hand and proceeded to eviscerate the nice lady, telling her in no uncertain terms that her so-called "argument" was idiocy. (I had never heard the "chicken or the egg" story, nor did I know prior to this moment that some versions of Christianity didn't believe in evolution for religious reasons.)

The whole thing left me flabbergasted --- sure, the Christian story was rather hard to believe (going to hell and all that) but I didn't realize that in addition to believing strange things they also insisted on *not* believing things that had been well-established via empirical evidence! The whole thing turned me against Christianity right then and there.

I started to think about other problems --- it made no sense that every Hindu in India was going to hell because they didn't believe. The whole structure of the thing fell apart for me.

Much later I decided there might be something to Christianity if not taken literally. But that's another story altogether, filled with one hand clapping and jumping off the top of poles into space.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Christine Testa said...

eyes are the hardest part to hide, the only tricks I know are to roll them and squinch them up as though you had a really big smile...hope that helps...or depending what you are trying to hide just let your hair fall in your face and look coy

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger TK said...

m: i love that story. thank you. i can just see little you explaining patiently to your teacher all about evolution. i'm all up for hearing about jumping off poles into space whenever you're ready.

x: boys don't have hair that falls into their faces, usually. and when they try to look coy, they just reveal more. as for me, i don't mind revealing a lot. it's what it's all about, if you can stand it, i think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links