Thursday, October 20, 2005

I Want Pre-Pressed People

“So for whatever reason, just knowing the president didn’t qualify her for the Supreme Court,” John Stewart is saying on “The Daily Show” just now, re Harriet Miers’ nomination, and subsequent debunking by, oh, everybody.

Just a little background noise for this blog entry. Yeah, just wondering, what makes someone qualified for anything special? For whatever great position you aspire them to click to? Can you ever know somebody’s “heart?” You think you do, but then they turn around and act as if they never knew yours. Or if they did, they no longer care. So be careful what you wish for, who you believe in, that’s the message I’m getting here, because someone out there is just ready, no, salivating to disappoint you. (Or, it seems, the message is stop trying to fit people to pre-formed molds. Nobody looks good cut like a Christmas cookie anyway, nu?)

Sure. The evening is a difficult one.

Events, unfortunately, only unfold once. But I take comfort in knowing that there’s never just one chance for anything—even the big things.

Even Harriet Miers gets to “retake” her Senate-requested questionnaire. Stewart says, “Apparently getting onto the Supreme Court is like taking high school Spanish.”

I’m hoping that nothing ever really gets more advanced than that. High school Spanish just takes some studying. Then again, I took Latin. And French. So maybe it’s extraordinarily hard and we’re all doomed…

(The Rock is now on “The Daily Show.” Holy crap, is it weird that I think The Rock is attractive? It is, in my head.)

2 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger Christine Testa said...

The rock? yes it is kind of wierd. I mean from a socioevolutionary perspective it can be explained but it is still wierd. I guess less wierd then the fact that some one out there is having relations with liza minelli right now...do you think it's wierd that I feel the same way about John Stewart?

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger TK said...

course not! it is generally agreed around my house that john stewart is kee-ute.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links