Sunday, November 06, 2005

The Most Useful Class I Took In H.S. Was Typing (or Latin)

Someone I work with was just talking about a “Meat-tastic” sandwich at some fast-food chain. Meat-tastic. Say it with me. I can imagine the smorgasbord of pig parts now…no, thanks. After 18 years, I’m still pleased with my choice of vegetarianism, even if it did cause me to cry when called “Veggie” in middle school by two teasing boys in Home Ec class. I think we were learning to sew that day. One of them also tried to drown me in the pool during gym once. Then again, I think I called him “Monkey Ears.” At least, I did in my head.

Things haven’t changed much as we’ve gotten older, I think. Not that anybody’s tried to drown me lately, it’s just I wouldn’t be surprised if they did. If they tried, though, I’d probably do the same thing I did back then: Close my eyes, hold my breath and enjoy the feeling of being underwater.

Then again, they always say the best swimmers are the ones who drown.

3 Comments:

At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

>enjoy the feeling of being underwater

you have good instincts. Not too many people would think of this.

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger TK said...

it is instinctual. i've always been a water kid. rather be in it than anywhere else. you? earth, wind, fire or water?

 
At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That "relaxing and enjoying it" works with earth, air, and fire, too... it's just a generally good approach to a lot of situations. Particularly the ones involving death.

I'm more of a fire sort of fellow. I wish I liked water more; I fell into a pond at a temple when I was a baby, my parents tell me --- never got that good with water despite years of swimming lessons. I like going to the beach and watching other people cavort in the ocean. I dip my feet in...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links