Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Spanish Flying

I herewith make an announcement: Two bloggers met in the dark reaches of the Lower East Side last night, and the consequences were…bourbon-soaked and hilarious. (But really, did you expect something else?)

My friends, I tell you now the ever-mordant Vex is a flesh-human, with a perfectly Canadian accent, a ready smile and little trace of the misery that permeates his blog. What a fascinating thing, to meet someone you only know in words.

I loved what he said to me in a phone call before we met up:

McBickle: “How do you like my city?”
Vex: “Well, I’ve been here three days, and it’s my city now.”

Yes, exactly. New York is for all of us. And as a coworker just said to me when I asked her if “MonkeyTown” should be one word in her story, “Yeah, that’s Brooklyn for you.

In other news, a colleague recently mentioned something called “Spanish Fly.” A mythical aphrodisiac? Anyone know of this? I’ve been thinking a lot about smells lately—musk, perfumes—the way their smells change on your skin, the way they change you when you wear them, the way they call to mind people from the past, people you do and do not want to recall so distinctly when you smell their scent out of the blue.

Now back to my Vex-induced hangover.

[Technorati tags: , ]

5 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Blogger TK said...

Push through it, man. I'm sure a guinness at the corner bar will tide you through and then the process can begin again tomorrow.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Christine Testa said...

spanish fly is a "supposed" aphrodisiac but the more realistic side effect is to feel all the inner tubuls of down there to feel really irritated, like sand got in them. There is no such thing as an aphrodisiac...anaphrodisac's is a whole other thing. There are alot of those. like stupidity. and asparagus.

And I do not believe that either of you really exist

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger TK said...

we don't. but we certainly got our apparitional selves fine and drunk the other night, that's for sure.

and thanks for the explanation, x, but no need to come down on asparagus. it's a fine vegetable with a unique relationship to pee, no?

you've also helped me understand why when i reached out to touch vex, my hand felt all tingly. it's all so mysterious. and without your triangulation, maybe we don't exist? if you actually showed up here, the universe might implode or something.

 
At 1:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my lord, tingly!

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger TK said...

yeah, i'm taking it as a sign that the netherworlds have collided. either that i'm losing feeling in my fingers as i age.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links