Friday, November 25, 2005

Yes, We Have No...

Bananas?
More wine?
Who knows.
I know that holidays bring people out of the woodwork, another mysterious expression, in addition to my all-time favorite construction: "I have no ----- [whatever]."
"Have no."
Why do you "have no"?
Why isn't it you "don't have"?
Fucking mystery.
Back to the woodwork.
You come, and some of you don't. But holidays bring the love, I suppose. From some. And then not from others you secretly hope for, and not from others you secretly don't. So sniff, and, whew.

[Back of hand swipes swiftly over forehead: whew.]

Thanksgiving is officially over. We can all return to drunken, family-free blogging now. (For anyone in need of that. I know there are some blogs stretched to the north of me always ready for your no-family high-escapist self. See blogroll, and click at your own risk.)

Addendum: I add this, a comment I just wrote on a young woman's blog--someone in blogland kind enough to link to me:

I ran down the steps in a midtown subway stop this evening. An old woman, replete with black headscarf, as if right here from Eastern Europe, had her hand out for please, please just a little change. I rarely give money to people in the subways because, well, many reasons. Sometimes I do. I looked at this woman and knew she had no other means, no family, no ability to get herself public assistance. And it's Thanksgiving. It's freakin Thanksgiving.

But I knew I had no money in my wallet. Like zero, none. So I smiled at the old woman and zipped down the stairs. But I stopped at the bottom to look back at her, only to see her crying, sobbing, really. What else can make your heart hurt as much on a holiday when we are supposed to feel thankful?

This I do not know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links