Sunday, February 08, 2009

Stripping Down on a Sunday Eve

Nothing like the pain of the past. The one you think you left behind as you watched the people grow and live, gain years and wither. I realized today that the 1970s will carry the emotional cues—songs, shorts, TV shows gleaned and weaned in the only early years. And tonight, the M*A*S*H episode where Henry Blake dies in a helicopter over the Asian seas after he was discharged, sent from war to the hearth, the midlands, heartlands, the warmth, the nonwar. I cried for my father, my uncle I will lose. For the pain of warmth and cold, love and goodbye, love and death. I watched aware from the beginning credits that this is the most pain one can provide: childhood, love, death, and connection. I watched it aware. And it hurt.

1 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Blogger extraspecialbitter said...

wow - talk about a blast from my past. I watched M*A*S*H almost every night in the mid-70's, and remember that episode well - the way the bad news was delivered with wartime efficiency and nonchalance, with Radar O'Reilly clutching his Teddy Bear in grief and the rest of us wishing we could do the same.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links