Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Onward

The other night I got a text from someone who I am still figuring out, text-wise. I decided not to respond, but wanted to. Part of me did. Next to me was a fortune cookie. Now, I’m not normally the type to go for signs and signifiers (not true: signifiers: yes) but I thought to myself, quite boldly, in bold-faced thought:

“I will reply if this fortune cookie tells me to in some way.”

I crackle open the plastic, I crack open the toasted cookie. Here was what my fortune said:

“They will be grateful that you call.”

Really.

So I did. And felt so completely good about it. And now I am considering consulting the occult more frequently.

Just now I found an unopened fortune cookie (yes, they are scattered around my kitchen for just such moments). I pondered the cheap plastic wrapping as a possible container to the harbinger of what will happen next, or should, in my life.

I opened it up and broke the cookie. Here was what my fortune said:

“Oops, wrong cookie.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links