Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Not Light Reading

Veterans and treatment for PTSD. Illuminating article by Mark Benjamin, called "Behind the Walls of Ward 54", from Salon.com.

Here’s the dek:

They're overmedicated, forced to talk about their mothers instead of Iraq, and have to fight for disability pay. Traumatized combat vets say the Army is failing them, and after a year following more than a dozen soldiers at Walter Reed Hospital, I believe them.

And here’s why it’s important; from the story:

“When you get [to Walter Reed], they analyze you, break you down, and try to find anything wrong with you before you got in” the Army, said Spc. Josh Sanders, in a telephone conversation from his home in Lovington, Ill. “They started asking me questions about my mom and my dad getting divorced. That was the last thing on my mind when I'm thinking about people getting fragged and burned bodies being pulled out of vehicles,” said Sanders. “They asked me if I missed my wife. Well, shit yeah, I missed my wife. That is not the fucking problem here. Did you ever put your foot through a 5-year-old's skull?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links