Tuesday, October 19, 2004

The Misery of the Media, As Told By Jon Stewart

If you missed Jon Stewart on "Crossfire," as I did, give a read of the transcript.

Here's an excerpt:

STEWART: It's not honest. What you do is not honest. What you do is partisan hackery. And I will tell you why I know it.

CARLSON: You had John Kerry on your show and you sniff his throne and you're accusing us of partisan hackery?

STEWART: Absolutely.

CARLSON: You've got to be kidding me. He comes on and you...

(CROSSTALK)

STEWART: You're on CNN. The show that leads into me is puppets making crank phone calls.

(LAUGHTER)

STEWART: What is wrong with you?

(APPLAUSE) CARLSON: Well, I'm just saying, there's no reason for you -- when you have this marvelous opportunity not to be the guy's butt boy, to go ahead and be his butt boy. Come on. It's embarrassing.


And then there's this exchange close to my j-school-wandering heart:

STEWART: You know, the interesting thing I have is, you have a responsibility to the public discourse, and you fail miserably.

CARLSON: You need to get a job at a journalism school, I think.

STEWART: You need to go to one.


And, finally, this beauty:

CARLSON: Wait. I thought you were going to be funny. Come on. Be funny.

STEWART: No. No. I'm not going to be your monkey.


The interview ends with Stewart begging Carlson and Begala to not go to commercial break. In the meantime, Tucker has told Stewart that Stewart must be a crappy dinner companion, always calling people on evading their responsibilities. Now, is it just me, or is this a TALK SHOW? People are supposed to TALK. Not eat dinner together. Not just laugh. Not sit around and shoot the shit and not discuss things in depth. In the end, Stewart is left asking, "Why can't we just talk -- please, I beg of you guys, please." Begging talk show hosts to talk is just terribly miserable. Tucker and Carlson have nobody to blame for this entreaty but themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links