Monday, September 20, 2004

Shaddupaya

The New York Times > New York Region > You Say Prosciutto, I Say Pro-SHOOT, and Purists Cringe

It's like I always tried to tell my father: there are vowels at the end of "mozzarella" and "capisce." He grew up with Neapolitans in Brooklyn. Obvio.

Two notes about this article:

1. I worked with that photog (Conrad) on a neat story once--we hung over the top of the Flatiron building together. (Look up at that roof sometime, there is a sculpture up there, and there is a fascinating story behind it. But don't expect me to tell it here. Feel free to ask. That is, of course, assuming you missed the original story, in the Times, in the first week of September 2001.)

Which brings me to:

2. I was down in Little Italy on September 13, 2001. If I remember correctly, the San Gennaro festival was supposed to take place either that day or the next (possibly the previous), but instead, the rides were covered with ash. I have some eerie photos from it. Maybe one day I'll share...picture Disney rides with a gray dust about an inch thick on top of them...and nobody riding them...and nobody anywhere even near them...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links