Monday, September 20, 2004

Small Brown Box

Now on my desk is a small, brown corrugated box, the contents of which are said vitamins and mask from previous post, as well as a letter I also received today.

This letter is on parchment-yellow paper, browned at the edges, as if very, very old.

The contents of said letter are an explanation of a group called "Plan Colombia," a group I mentioned ever so briefly in an article I wrote about protesters at the RNC. When I say briefly, I mean it was a couple of sentences that tossed off some names of unusual groups that were present in the crowd, i.e.: "A group called Plan Colombia picketed with mysterious signs, like one that said, "Stop Fumigating.""

So that was it. No more explanation, because, no, the article was not about these groups. Fine. But then this letter, with its brown edges and slanted script writing--a treatise on what, exactly, Plan Colombia is, just in case no one else had yet explained it to me--lands on my desk.

I just wonder about this woman, and her notepad, and its age, not to mention hers. Some letters I get are much, much crazier than this one, but none have surpassed its anachronism. What I mean to say is that I care less about the content of the letter than the surprising look of it. (My art director has just scanned it for me. You too can now see the oddness of its ways.)

Letter (side one) Posted by Hello


Now for my challenge. Do any of you receive such strange items at your place of work? Or am I the only with with a facachta job that accretes psychotic objects in the mail?

(And, for your viewing pleasure: http://www.yiddishdictionaryonline.com/entire-ey.htm, if only because I readily admit I can't spell "facachta" for the lebn of me.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links