Monday, September 27, 2004

Election General Anxiety Disorder/Syndrome

EGADS* seems to be a real, new phenomenon. At least among you people, my hyper-astute, proudly neurotic friends. Here's one email that seems to sum up the disorder nicely:

"i think i have a generalized anxiety about the coming election. after a few years w/ my head buried in the "news" and various global and local conspiracy theories, i've been trying to wean myself off it all. afterall, i know how i'm going to vote, and i rarely encounter anyone who, if they don't agree w/ me, thinks i'm not off my gourd. so, for what reason do i stay extremely informed when i can just be sorta informed?

"anyway, when i see polls or think about the f*ckers chanting "4 more years", i just get nervous. and sick. it's happening right now as i write. so, i'll think about my puppy instead." **


(*Symptoms seem to include endless news watching and then greater anxiety when either watching or NOT watching. Treatment seems to be all about puppies.)

(**Anyone up for large drinks and watching debates? Or maybe just a game of Scrabble?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links