Friday, June 06, 2008

Occasionally, People Are Wonderful

I got a note this morning from a source on a story I did for a major paper a couple years ago. The basic gist of the story was that a nonprofit organization was forced to suddenly shut down after decades. It seems a lawyer saw my story and formed a committee to get the place up and running again, which I had no idea about. So here’s part of my source’s note, which actually just made me cry.

“I just wanted to tell you how grateful I am to you for writing that article and getting it published. Truly, none of this would have been possible without the exposure that the article brought. The revival of [the organization] is, in large part, thanks to you! So whenever you are feeling frustrated or jaded about your journalism career, remember that, through your work, you truly made a huge difference in the lives of hundreds of New Yorkers.”

Yeah, but thank you. Thank you for letting me be a part of that, and for telling me all this. Thank you for being someone who says such warm things to someone else. You remind me that there is a quiet but strong connection that threads us all together, and this makes me love the world a little bit more today.

2 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Made a huge difference in the lives of hundreds of NYers, eh? Well, that is lovely. Of course, one is left to wonder just what kind of difference you made? Were they once rich but now poor. Once whole but now only half? Yankees fans now gone over to support the Mets?
Let's just not be so quick to congratulate ourselves before all the facts are in, eh?

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger TK said...

dang, rocket. (although i do like "once whole but now only half.")

i actually redacted the words "emotional well-being" somewhere in that "lives of hundreds of ny'ers" sentence. the close approximation of all those descriptors made my head turn to an unnatural angle and crick.

from now on, i'm going to set my sights on changing the life of one new yorker at a time. less responsibility. probably more interesting, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links