Sunday, August 05, 2007

I Go to a Car Service

I get in the black car.

The driver exits the corner bodega, cigarette in hand. He gets in.

"You're smoking?" I say. "I'll smoke too then!"

"Ah!" he says, turning around with a grin. "I like you!"

He starts the music. He turns it up. It's funk-ish, jazz-ish, with fantastic Quincy Jones interludes. His name is David. He is from "Cairo, Egypt."

We fly toward the Manhattan Bridge.

"My hair is going everywhere!" I shout above the music, the wind.

"Your hair goes everywhere like a wild horse! So beautiful!"

Ha ha ha! I laugh and laugh. I smoke. The music floats around the car and the city skyline rears up ahead of us.

"Your hair! Your hair is like a beautiful hair in the air!" he says.

Ha ha ha! I laugh.

Ha ha ha!

Ha ha ha!

"I've seen you in the neighborhood," he says.

Ha ha ha!

Ha ha oh!

Oh.

2 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger cy said...

beautiful. i can picture it.

i love driving fast with my windows down. when my hair is flying around everywhere, it makes me feel like those puppies with their heads out of car windows, ears flapping and so happy.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger TK said...

"Flapping" is a good word to use near "happy."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links