Monday, July 17, 2006

I Will Live in a Fortress if I Must

When one arises at 1 a.m. in order to pee and perhaps grab a light snack from the kitchen, one does not expect to encounter a creature from the deep, an agent of Satan, a monster of the dark. Yes, my friends, we are talking about a Water Bug.

If you do not live here, think of a roach of gigantic proportions. If you do live here, you are quaking while you read this.

It just appeared. Brown and ugly, ugly as a fungus on a mold.

I stumbled around a bit while grabbing the nearest potentially lethal bottle of spray liquid I could find. It turned out to be soap scum stuff that pretty much eats the veneer off my shower. I sprayed, the devil ran not under the door to the hallway toward which it had appeared to be heading, but back toward my bedroom.

I believe I screeched once.

I have no desire to kill anything that big, much less a desire to clean up whatever ookiness I have made by killing such a creature. For now, I have barricaded myself in my room in an attempt to peacefully finish my book ("The Inner Circle," T.C. Boyle, about Kinsey) and quietly suppress chills that are plaguing my grossed-out spine.

Who decided to call these things water bugs? What the hell is that about?

Blech. Ick. Yuck.

Addendum: My train ride this evening included a man with unusually deformed legs, two deaf men, two transvestites and a man with a very bad hair piece. It was a confluence of sorts you don't see every day, but you are strangely happy you did. New York in all its heterogeneity, courtesy the Sunday evening A.

5 Comments:

At 12:04 AM, Blogger cy said...

i feel shivers reading about your horrific experience. i have had two such situations happen in my experience, and one time, it involved me running out of the room naked sans a little hand towel.
and i know that you are not exaggerating in any way.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger TK said...

cy, thank you for your empathy. you, my dear, know.

i'm melting here. i wonder who in new york is still in a solid state?

there was a two-hour A-train nightmare in queens yesterday. poor commuter souls got trapped in un-air-conditioned cars when the tracks buckled. from the heat. i find this mysterious considering that steel shouldn't buckle at 100 degrees, but clearly the imps that live in the subway decided to work some mischief. this experience far outweighs my water bug nightmare. kinda.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger extraspecialbitter said...

My first home was in Williamsburgh, Brooklyn, where the cockroaches shrugged disdainfully when you tried to crush them with your foot. Twenty-six years later I lived in Charleston, SC, where Palmetto Bugs were considered the unofficial state bird. What hound of hell hatched these monsters?

 
At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

come on , it's not so bad . I kept on thinking for a while about your water bug experience and after all what were you scared of ? just think of the beautiful legs moving fast , alert, in search of a corner to hide .... It's life and surviving after all....

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger TK said...

esb: thank you. i love sympathy.

anon: only he of the dead flowers could say such a thing. then again, read back and recognize that i did not choose to kill the creature. i cannot, and will not, kill animals, small or large, ugly or pretty. there you go--i am a closet jain. now let me give you some roses, please...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links