Wednesday, November 15, 2006

And They Will Know Us by the Name "Bill"

I did a double-take. Circling among some friends I know at a local bar was a man. A very tall man with shaggy brown hair and a patterned button-down who looked like a friend named Bill. Only Bill had moved to Boston.

"I'm sorry," I said to the guy, who was not my friend Bill. "You just look so much like my friend Bill who moved to Boston."

"My name is Bill, and i did move to Boston," he said, clearly dumbfounded.

Well, knock me upside the head and call me...Bill.

Mind you, this is the same bar where I met the alterna-Dan. [See "It's Like a Pantyliner," June 12, 2006.]

There is clearly a name/identity warp in this location. Doppelgangers abound, and I seem drawn to them there. I shall alert the authorities immediately before any more harm is done. To them. Or me. Or to you, my faithful readers who are obviously boinging around your room at this very moment from shock and disbelief. Get a grip, help is on the way.

5 Comments:

At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sue was at an AJAX conference in Boston for work. One of her coworkers, "Steve", told her to go to his talk and say hi to "Andy" (don't recall what the names were, so I substitute Steve and Andy), who worked at Yahoo. Sue saw that someone named Andy from Yahoo was giving a talk that afternoon, so she went, and afterwards went up to the guy and said, "Hi, I'm a friend of Steve's from Spafinder." Andy enthusiastically said "Oh, how's Steve doing?" and they chatted for a little while amiably.

Later, when Sue got back to New York, she went up to Steve and told him she'd said hello to his friend Andy Ploetz for him. Steve said, "his name isn't Andy Ploetz ..." Confused, Sue went back to her desk.

Later, a different Steve came over and said, "I heard you met my friend Andy Ploetz!"

 
At 4:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no altern-Dan - there can be only one...... AD x

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger TK said...

listen, all i can tell you, vex, is that really, i need to stay away from this place. last night i met the naming equivalent of "this is my brother daryl, and this is my other brother daryl." my brain is warping. and i don't even drink rum.

mits: i enjoyed the sentence "confused, sue went back to her desk."

AD: what can i tell you. you are the longest-running AD in my life, and you seem to reappear more than any other. those facts alone point to you as the mould into which all other subsequent ADs have been poured. you are the [i tried to think of the right word, something to signify that mote, particle, piece of dust that began the big bang, so i turned to the nearest reporter and asked him what that was called: "fred," he said] fred of my dans, the one all others wish they could be.

 
At 5:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never been described as the piece of dust that began the big bang before. Have I mentioned what a good blog this is......

Fredism rocks

AD x

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger TK said...

sweet AD, haven't you realized by now that i will never bore you in metaphor (simile, synechdoche, metonymy, whatever)? that you will delight in being called a piece of dust, even if you never knew you would? it is the joy of absurdity, the magic of travel, the utter freakitude of mastering the fred. spin the cube, they tell me. spin, spin the cube, so spin i do, sometimes until we tumble together right off the roof of museums and into the dark, deep woods of a dark, drizzly park.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links