Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I May Need Sunscreen Anyway

A shroud of pain lies over my left eyeball. It's a smoky shroud, impressed with suffering, like a pain-Shroud of Turin. Sunday was 20 hours of a migraine, the kind that makes you throw up it hurts so bad. I writhed around my bed, literally, head tossing to and fro, lying still and then moving from side to side, looking for a way to stop feeling stabbed in the face, wondering if you can die from pain. I believe the answer is yes to that. At one point I closed my eyes as my medication began to take effect (I knew it was working when I felt my chest and throat constrict, an occasional side effect) and felt myself drifting into a silent calm, like nothing I'd ever felt--it was not like falling asleep as i know it, it felt more like everything I understood about consciousness was being erased--and I was pretty sure that is what dying can be like. At least, dying post-adrenalized, I'd imagine.

Today is Tuesday, but I still have a sense-memory of pain. Amazing.

I will know tomorrow if one of my two hot-climate jobs is in order. I'm not sure how New England has morphed into beachy possibilities, but so it goes, and go it does. Think kind thoughts for my prospects and my eye socket, please. Thank you and goodnight.

3 Comments:

At 1:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds horrific. Does it take 20 hours for the medication to take effect, or did you only get the medication 20 hours into your torture?

My friend Heather Anne found an acupuncturist who solved her migraine with needles. She said she slept very hard that night.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger extraspecialbitter said...

A few years back I was diagnosed as having cluster headaches, basically a string of migraines without a known cause. The most effective treatment I found was breathing pure oxygen. That and finally getting divorced from my first wife.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger TK said...

ah, so it is. twenty hours and a mule, i tell you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links