Tuesday, October 04, 2005

New York in the Night, A Little Bit

It’s not even 1 a.m. and I have been attempting to sleep. But I can’t sleep. That is because my neighbor, the one who comes and goes at all times of day at night, for, at most, 20 minutes at a time (tell me what he does for a living—any ideas besides a drug dealer? Anyone?), has begun to play video games, as of tonight. And not just any video games, apparently, but the kind that have eerie sounds and lapse into silences broken by rat-a-splat gunfire. I considered banging on the wall, but realized that I’ve lived here for five years now and never, ever banged on the wall. It seems a bad precedent to set now.

So I thought I’d get up and write to you.

I thought I’d tell you about the air, which is cold, but just damp enough to make me feel sweaty.

And I thought I’d tell you that I saw a skinned lamb, stiff and legs-up in a red, plastic shopping cart being wheeled across a sidewalk on Atlantic Avenue the other night. It might as well have been Lebanon. In fact, I believe that was my out-loud response: “Are we in LEBANON?”

[And please, this is not morbid. Just putrid.]

2 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger Adrian said...

Well... That sounded like a scene from Jacob's Ladder. Creepy.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger TK said...

that's brilliant.
know i know how to pick my meat, if i ever choose to eat it. which will be, like, never. but my friend vice has a compelling story about maggots and mushrooms on her bologna blog. for the vegetarians out there, you know.

i think from now on i will consider this premise in picking other things, like friends, or jobs. lovers? who knows. it could get delightfully disgusting, in an interesting sort of way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links