Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Tequila, I Will Make Peace With You

Apparently every word I say in Spanish comes out sounding Italian. Which makes sense, considering that I speak Italian, not Spanish. But when I lived in Italy, Italians always told me my accent was Spanish. Go figure.

But I am suddenly headed to Mexico next week, and I am regretting my inability to hold more than one romance language in my head at a time. (So long French! I hardly knew ye, Spanish…)

I am also regretting my pale complexion that will welcome the sun like a…like a…I’m going to spare you from my gross simile. It involved flies.

The best part about this trip?

I’m on assignment.

How wonderful to be paid to do what you love. Wasn’t I just talking about this recently? Yes, yes. The pleasures of blogging…

The pleasures of the written word, memory etched into screen-paper-ether for you for as long as your pixels-paper-made up space lasts. Kind of like your head. Which really isn’t very long, now is it?

So I already bought SPF 45 (I did. Really.) but I'm wondering what else a woman takes for five days in Mexico. It's work/vacation. Suggestions? Good books to read? I've got Nabokov's short stories waiting in line, but I'm looking for some more to take with me.

2 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recommend a book of short stories by Lorrie Moore entitled "Birds of America." Bring a bikini and sunglasses. Lucky. As for your Italian sounding Spanish, although you will want to put an "e" at the end of all words, don't. Mmm, tequila, bon voyage, M.

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger TK said...

i thought you were coming in my suitcase? i've read that collection--amazing. thanks for the great rec. but now i need yet another since i've read it...help me, please. i've got the bikini. got the sunglasses. maybe i don't need much more...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links