Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Seasonally Unusual Occurences

I walked down the Bowery today at around 4 p.m. A beautiful young black woman smiled at me. Her head turned as she passed, still, smiling, so I smiled back at her. She said, "Hello," so I said, "Hello," and kept walking. I heard a splashing sound.

I turned around to see her walking on and on the ground was a circle of…milk? About three feet around. A white splash in a circle, like paint. (At some point I registered that she was holding a bottle in her hand. Milky- more than paint bottle-like.) I walked on to the corner but kept turning around to try to understand what had just happened. A man on the opposite corner waiting to cross the street in my direction called out:

"She's doing that every time she passes a white woman." He was black. He shook his head and laughed, saying, "She's crazy."

I felt pseudo-assaulted.

In other news, around that same stretch of street my mind wondered, as the drizzle drizzled, whether it was a warm fall day or a cool spring day only to realize it is winter. This is January.

1 Comments:

At 1:33 AM, Blogger TK said...

i thought i would comment in my own comments to let all my bloggy friends know i seem to be unable to leave comments on your sites since i updated to the "new" blogger. advice? '
'cause it ain't like i don't got nothing to say to y'all...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links