Thursday, December 16, 2004

For the Sentiment

Struggling this morning with the value of sentiment. First, I'll begin with a link to Dowd's column. It's not one of my favorites, but the sentiment is excellent:

"The Coalition of the Shilling"--I mean, come on! Excellent!

From it:

"All those old, out-of-shape reservists being dragged back by Rummy would be great pitchmen for arthritis medication. And Celebrex night vision goggles."

Perfection.

In my deeper struggle with sentiment (I really shouldn't drive and daydream, but yes, I should and do), I am stuck on Ms. Kay this morning. Even the fact that I can't remember if it's Ms. or Mrs. is driving me into sentimental paroxysms. She taught me in "Socrates," what may be a silly name for an elementary school program that gave me...so much. It was 1st-through-fifth-grade problem-solving, staring at interlocking circles on the floor and trying to decipher...something, I don't remember what. On the wall were posters with Socratic aphorisms like "All I know is that I know nothing." So pivotal to a precocious 7-year-old, let me tell you. Still pivotal two decades on and counting. Thank you, Ms. Kay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links